Uncover the Secrets of the Legendary Nittany Lion Inn!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we’re about to dive headfirst into the hallowed halls of the Nittany Lion Inn! Forget those sterile, cookie-cutter hotel reviews. I'm here to tell you the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, even if it’s a little… messy. Let's get into this freakin' LEGEND.
Uncover the Secrets of the Legendary Nittany Lion Inn! - My "Honestly, Though?" Review
First off, SEO mumbo jumbo: accessibility, Penn State, State College hotels, luxury accomodations, Wi-Fi, on site dining, spa, fitness center, events, weddings, conference center, family friendly, downtown State College, Nittany Lion Inn review… you get the drift. I’m trying to get Google to like us.
Arrival & First Impressions: Yeah, It's Pretty Majestic (But Is It Meant to Be?)
Pulling up to the Nittany Lion Inn, it's… impressive. Think grand old dame meets ivy-covered fortress. You can practically feel the history. It's like, are you supposed to arrive in a Rolls Royce or a beat-up Camry? (I opted for the latter. Priorities, people. Budgeting for the actual trip.) The doorman? Top notch. Pure class. 24-hour front desk? Check. They've got their act together. Even valet parking. (My car… shuddered at the thought.)
The elevator situation is… well, it's an elevator. It works. Getting around the place is generally a breeze, and that's HUGE. Accessibility is something I actually paid attention to. My friend uses a wheelchair, and the Inn handled it beautifully. Wheelchair accessible entrances are there. Elevators are spacious. Makes life a whole lot easier, and more enjoyable. Nice job, Nittany Lion Inn!
Rooms: Cozy & Classy (And My Coffee Maker Almost Burnt Down the Place!)
My room? Standard affair, but comfy. Big comfy bed, great for a good nights sleep, a nice sitting area. Air conditioning? Yep. Thank god. Wi-Fi [free]? Double yep. And it actually works. I could stream Netflix without a hitch, which is a godsend for a weary traveler.
One minor snag – that coffee/tea maker. Uh, it looked fancy, but the first morning it went full-on nuclear on me. I swear, smoke billowed out. Thankfully, my wake-up service – my own personal fire alarm – didn’t disappoint. So, pro tip: double-check that thing before you trust it with your caffeine fix. Otherwise, the complimentary tea was great. I also loved the bathrobes and slippers. Made me feel like royalty, if royalty also spent the day wrestling with a dodgy coffee maker.
Dining: A Mixed Bag (But That Poolside Bar…)
Okay, dining. Here's where things get a tad uneven. The Restaurants are plentiful and varied. Coffee/tea in restaurant? Yup! Breakfast [buffet]? Oh, yes. A massive buffet. Scrambled eggs and bacon galore. Asian breakfast? Surprisingly, too. International cuisine in restaurant? Check. Western cuisine in restaurant? You guessed it. The food itself? Solid. Not mind-blowing, but definitely not terrible.
But that…poolside bar.
I spent an entire afternoon parked by the Swimming pool [outdoor] (gorgeous! With a Pool with view!), and the Poolside bar. Now that was an experience. The drinks were strong, the service was friendly, and the atmosphere was pure relaxation. Pure. Bliss. I might have accidentally spent a few hours there. Seriously, that poolside bar is a reason to visit all by itself. . Ways to Relax: Spa Day, Anyone? (Maybe Skip the Steam Room… Just Saying)
The Spa… is a proper deal. They have a Sauna, a Steamroom, Massage, and all the trimmings. I didn't do the Body scrub or Body wrap, but I did treat myself to a massage. Worth. Every. Penny. The staff, the atmosphere, everything top-notch. The Fitness center is also available.
I did poke my head into the steam room. It looked… intense. Maybe I'm just a wimp.
Services & Conveniences: They Think of Everything (Almost)
They're generally pretty good on the services front. Daily housekeeping is on point. Laundry service? Yep. A Concierge that actually helps. Luggage storage? Sure thing. A Convenience store? For that last-minute pack of gummy bears? Yes, they've got you.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Secure (Which Is a Must)
Safety is paramount, and the Nittany Lion Inn impressed. Anti-viral cleaning products are in play. Daily disinfection in common areas. Room sanitization opt-out available (they let you know). Safe dining setup. They’re clearly taking things seriously. The Staff [is] trained in safety protocol, too. I felt comfortable.
For the Kids: A Family Affair? (Mostly)
Family/child friendly is definitely a thing. There are Babysitting service options, and Kids meal available and it's generally a welcoming environment. So for the little ones, you're pretty well set, this is a great choice.
Things to Do: Beyond the Walls (Not Much… Which Is Kind of the Point)
You're in State College. It's Penn State territory. You're here to soak in the atmosphere, maybe catch a game. They have Meeting/banquet facilities (and everything that goes with those. I’m guessing they also do weddings) or On-site event hosting, it’s all there. There’s a gift shop for those last-minute souvenirs, a Shrine (okay, I made that up), and a safe place to keep your money.
The Downside: Because Nothing's Perfect (Except Maybe That Poolside Bar)
Look, no place is perfect. The prices for the food can be a touch steep, and the style is… classic. If you're looking for modern minimalist, you're in the wrong place.
So…Should You Go? Heck, Yes! (But With a Few Caveats)
The Nittany Lion Inn is a gem. It blends history, comfort, and impeccable service, and it's a great place to stay, and you'll enjoy it.
Here's My Offer (Because I'm Feeling Generous!):
Book your stay at the Nittany Lion Inn NOW and get a free cocktail at the poolside bar! (Tell them I sent you. They won't know who I am. Doesn't matter. You'll know.) Plus, you'll be supporting a local business, getting an experience that is sure to be positive, and you'll have a great time!
Go. Experience. Relax. Drink. And, for the love of all that is holy, check that coffee maker before you brew.
Hongdae's HOTTEST Spot: 2024's MUST-VISIT Location in Seoul!Okay, buckle up, buttercup, because this isn't your perfectly curated travel brochure itinerary. This is me, stumbling through a weekend at the Nittany Lion Inn, trying to make sense of it all, and possibly spilling coffee on the itinerary in the process. Prepare for emotional whiplash and the occasional tangent.
The Nittany Lion Inn: A Messy, Wonderful Weekend (with a Side of Penn State Pride)
Pre-Trip Anxiety Phase (a.k.a. “Why did I book this again?”):
- Date: October 26th – 28th (ish) – Because, you know, deadlines are suggestions when you're human.
- Reasoning: Ugh, a friend’s wedding at the Inn…and a vague sense of obligation to "experience Penn State." Honestly? The pictures of the Inn are gorgeous. Pure, old-school charm. Plus, that giant fireplace lobby? Sold. But, I'm not much of a "school spirit" person. (Sigh) Here we go.
Day 1: Arrival, Apprehension, and the Allure of the Lobby
- 1:00 PM: Arrive in State College. Traffic was…well, it was what you expect. Long. I swore at a minivan with a "Baby on Board" sign. (Note: I do not have a baby. I am that person.)
- 1:45 PM: The Nittany Lion Inn appears. Okay, wow. It actually is beautiful. That lobby! That glorious, crackling fireplace! Okay, maybe I can survive this whole "Penn State" thing. The check-in process was surprisingly smooth. No drama! (Always a win.)
- 2:30 PM: The room. Pleasant. Fine. Nothing to write home about, but clean, and that's the important part when you're not entirely sure what the sheets have been through. The view of the campus… well, it's there. Trees. Buildings. Students. A sea of blue and white.
- 3:00 PM: Wandering the Inn. Okay, I adore this place. The wood paneling, the artwork, the history…it feels like walking into a different era. I imagine all the famous people who have slept here – and I wonder if they, too, felt this weird mix of excitement and dread.
- 4:00 PM: The Wedding Rehearsal. Oh my god, it's a lot of people. I'm terrible with names. I’m just gonna have to fake it. (I tried to make eye contact with someone to find their name from their name tag, but completely missed the cue that they'd just seen me, so I looked like a creeper. My social anxiety is thrilled.)
- 6:00 PM: Reception dinner. I think I lost my friend. I am so bad at wedding small talk. The food… well, it's wedding food. Edible. Sort of.
Day 2: Penn State, Pride, and The Unexpected Emotional Rollercoaster
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the Inn. (They have great coffee! Seriously, a lifesaver.)
- 10:00 AM: A walk around campus. This is where things got unexpectedly… emotional. The sheer size of the place is overwhelming. The energy! I watched some football players practicing—they were huge! The history! And, yes, I felt a pang – I didn't have this experience, and while I don't regret my life, I felt that twinge. Is this, dare I say, "Penn State spirit" starting to seep in? I'm slightly terrified.
- 11:30 AM: The Wedding!!! It was beautiful, I cried. I was super awkward at the dance floor, but otherwise.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch… (I think I am having a slight mental breakdown, this is too much emotional stress)
- 6:00 PM: The game. (Football. It’s a thing here.) This is the moment of truth. I was prepared to roll my eyes and pretend I was above it all. I was NOT prepared for the roar of the crowd. The chanting! The feeling of shared experience… I actually got goosebumps. I was literally yelling and cheering. I think I even accidentally started a "We Are… Penn State!" chant. (Mortification level: high.) I may or may not have hugged a complete stranger. Don't judge me. This is what happens.
- 9:00 PM: Wedding Reception. (I was too tired to care at this point, I was not able to recover from all the emotional stresses.)
- 11:00 PM: End of the night. (The emotions are finally running dry, I can now sleep)
Day 3: Farewell to Hallowed Halls, and a Hint of Regret?
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. That coffee is a true godsend, again. (And a whole lot of ibuprofen, because dancing.)
- 10:00 AM: One last wander. I did a quick lap around campus, taking pictures of the iconic Old Main . It felt…different somehow. Warmer. I still have no clue how anyone walks so far here, but whatever.
- 11:00 AM: Check out. That lobby fireplace! It still whispers the tales of countless other tales.
- 12:00 PM: Depart.
- On the road: Wait, did I just…enjoy Penn State? Did I connect with a community I never thought I'd be a part of? Maybe a little. I still have no idea how those students walk around those hills! I might even keep the little "Penn State" sticker on my car. (Don't tell anyone.)
Overall Assessment:
- The Nittany Lion Inn: Stunning, charming, and with a surprisingly stellar coffee game. 9/10.
- Penn State: Unexpectedly infectious. The spirit is real, folks. 7/10.
- My emotional state: A rollercoaster. 6/10 (mostly because I need more recovery time.)
- My overall impression of the whole thing: Messy, imperfect, and… pretty darn great. I'll be back someday. Maybe.