Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept Secret (Luxury Hotel!)

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept Secret (Luxury Hotel!)

Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept Secret (Luxury Hotel!) - A Review That's Honestly Real

Okay, buckle up, because I just got back from a stay at Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept Secret (Luxury Hotel!), and let me tell you, it's a journey. Forget those sterile, cookie-cutter reviews. This is the real deal, warts and all, and hopefully, after this, you'll be booking your own escape… maybe. Or maybe you'll run screaming. We’ll see.

First off, SEO stuff alert! Keywords, keywords, keywords! We're talking luxury hotel, Cherokee, spa, accessible hotel, wheelchair accessible, romantic getaway, family-friendly hotel, amazing views, and all that jazz. Got it? Good. Now, let's get messy.

Arrival & Accessibility - The Rollercoaster Begins

Finding the place was, well, an experience. My GPS apparently decided to take a scenic route involving a goat farm. No joke. But the location, once you actually arrive, is breathtaking. Nestled in the mountains, it is a picture postcard.

Now, for accessibility. This is where things get a little… complicated. Escape to Paradise claims to be wheelchair accessible, and they do have an elevator. However, navigating the grounds feels a bit like a treasure hunt. Some areas have ramps, others, not so much. It’s a bit uneven, which is a real bummer. The website is vague, so call ahead and confirm the specifics. Don’t just trust the photos!

But then… that view. Wow. Seriously, the pool with a view is worth the price of admission (almost). You can see the whole darn world from up there. The outdoor swimming pool itself isn't huge, but it's stunning. Pure bliss. So, accessibility isn’t perfect, but the views… well, they're damn close.

The front desk [24-hour] staff were mostly helpful and friendly. Express check-in/out? Not really. But the doorman had a genuine smile, which makes all the difference, right?

Rooms & Relaxation - Decadence & Minor Annoyances

My room? Yes! The room was amazing. I mean, the air conditioning worked perfectly and the blackout curtains… oh, the blackout curtains! Slept for hours. Bliss. They had bathrobes (essential!), slippers, and a complimentary bottle of water (not a big deal, but nice touches). The bed was extra long - perfect for a tall guy - a desk to work at, in-room safe box, and – get this – a window that opened! I love a window that opens.

Now, the Wi-Fi [free], was another adventure. It kept dropping out – a minor, yet annoying detail. The Internet access – wireless was stronger in the lobby. But, hey, who wants to be glued to their phone when you're in paradise, right? Riiiiight.

I opted for the massage at the spa. Okay, full disclosure: I fell asleep. The sauna was great too. I’m not normally a sauna guy, but it was… therapeutic. They offer a body scrub and body wrap, but I chickened out. Maybe next time.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - From So-So to Seriously Good

The restaurants… a mixed bag, to be honest. They have a Western cuisine in restaurant, offering a breakfast [buffet]. The buffet was decent, but nothing to write home about. The coffee/tea in restaurant was definitely a plus. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was actually pretty good. A genuine surprise. Also the breakfast service in the room was a plus, and great for my partner. The room service [24-hour] was a godsend after a long day.

The poolside bar? Now, we’re talking! Happy hour was… well, happy. Great cocktails and the view, again, was incredible. The snack bar was perfect for a quick bite.

Cleanliness and Safety - Doing Their Best

This is a big one, especially these days. I noticed staff trained in safety protocol, which was reassuring. They had hand sanitizer everywhere. The rooms sanitized between stays felt really secure, and I appreciated the anti-viral cleaning products being used. They also have a doctor/nurse on call. I didn't need it, but it was nice knowing it was there. Daily disinfection in common areas was evident.

Things to do (Besides Chillaxing) - Mostly Relaxing

Okay, "things to do" here basically translates to "ways to relax". There's a fitness center, and, hey, if you must work out, go for it. But seriously, spend your time relaxing. If you're into family-friendly locations, there are kids facilities, so I am sure it will be great for them.

The Nitty-Gritty: Services, Conveniences, and the Bits I Forgot

They have a concierge, which is always useful. Currency exchange if you need it. Car park [free of charge]. There is also luggage storage, laundry service and dry cleaning, but I didn't use them. And the elevator meant my luggage didn't get in as much the way!

The Big Question: Should You Book This Hotel? It's Complicated… But Yes!

Okay, here's the honest truth. Escape to Paradise isn't perfect. If you need absolute, flawless accessibility, do your research and call ahead. The Wi-Fi can be spotty. But the views? The spa? The overall ambiance? They’re magical.

HERE'S MY OFFER FOR YOU, MY FRIEND:

Book your stay at Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept Secret (Luxury Hotel!) within the next 7 days using code ESCAPE10 and receive:

  • 10% off your entire stay!
  • A complimentary bottle of champagne upon arrival to enjoy while taking in those incredible views!
  • Early check-in (subject to availability) so you can start relaxing sooner!

Why this deal is sweet:

  • Exclusive Savings: 10% off is a significant discount on a luxury stay.
  • Pure Bliss: Champagne and those views? Hello, relaxation!
  • Stress-Free Check-In: Get settled in and start enjoying your escape immediately.

Click here to book your stay today! (Insert link here). Don't delay – this offer won't last forever!

Final Verdict: Escape to Paradise is a place you'll remember. It’s an imperfect paradise, but it’s real. And sometimes, that’s all you need. Go…and let me know what you thought!

Uncover Quest Williamstown's North Melbourne Secrets: You Won't Believe This!

Book Now

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to embark on a wild ride… to Cherokee, Iowa. Yes, you read that right. Cherokee. Population: Probably fewer than the number of dust bunnies clinging to my couch right now. And our HQ? The Best Western La Grande Hacienda. Prepare yourselves for a rollercoaster of emotions… mostly boredom, and a healthy dose of "what have I gotten myself into?"

Day 1: Arrival, Doubt, and Discounted Donuts (and the Dawn of Regret)

  • 1:00 PM: Land at the Sioux City Airport (SUX) – which, ironically, perfectly sums up my initial feelings about this trip. The flight was smooth, which is always a plus. The rental car? A beige… thing. It smells faintly of stale fast food and desperation. This is already a metaphor for… well, everything.
  • 2:30 PM: Arrive at the La Grande Hacienda. The "Hacienda" part is a significant exaggeration. More like… a motel with a slightly ambitious Spanish tile roof. The lobby has a faint smell of chlorine and regret. Check-in is… slow. The woman behind the counter looks like she's fought this battle a thousand times. I get the distinct impression she's seen it all. Probably includes a lot of Iowa.
  • 3:00 PM: Unpack. My room… is functional. Two queen beds with questionable comforters. The air conditioning is blasting away, compensating for the slightly damp feel of the carpet. This is going to be fun.
  • 3:30 PM: The Donut Crisis! I venture out, desperate for sustenance and a sign of life. Across from the hotel, I spot it: a Casey's General Store. Paradise! I grab a coffee and a few, what I thought were fresh glazed donuts. Turns out, they're… discounted glazed donuts. Slightly stale, slightly sad, but still… donuts. (I ate them all. Don't judge.)
  • 4:00 PM: Rambling Thoughts and Internet Woes. Back in the room, I try to connect to the Wi-Fi. It's… a battle. Finally, I get online and check the local attractions. "The Sanford Museum & Planetarium." Oh, joy. "The Cherokee County Historical Museum." Double joy. I feel my soul slowly draining out of my body.
    • Anecdote: I vividly recall my last museum visit, which was in a bustling metropolis. The contrast here is… stark. I'm pretty sure the museum gift shop in Cherokee will sell you a commemorative spoon with the county seal on it.
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner. "Dinner" is a strong word. I walk, aimlessly, down a mostly deserted road. The only option that looks remotely inviting? A sub shop. I order a large meatball sub, and I realize, in that moment of eating, that this is how I'm destined to die.
  • 7:30 PM: Back in my room and already bored. Watching TV. Considering going to bed. I think I'll just stay in bed.

Day 2: Museum Musings, The Weight of History, and That Darned Planetarium

  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast. (More donuts, obviously) I'm feeling a bit more… resigned this morning. I've accepted my fate.
  • 10:00 AM: Sacrifice: The Sanford Museum & Planetarium. Okay, I have to. I grab a coffee. I steel myself. This museum had better be good. Or at least somewhat… interesting.
    • Oh, the Planetarium! This is it, folks. They show a short but compelling film about the cosmos, or as I call it, "a whole other galaxy that is much more interesting than Cherokee". After that, I wander through the museum, gazing upon ancient tools, pottery, and other historical artifacts.
      • Quirky Observation: The exhibit on the local Native American tribes is surprisingly well-done and thought-provoking. Okay, Cherokee, you got me there.
      • Emotional Reaction: I feel a surprising twinge of appreciation for the fact that some people dedicated their entire lives to the study of these people and stories.
      • Anecdote: There was a small-town couple that made me chuckle, as I could almost feel their lack of interest in the ancient tools of the land.
  • 12:00 PM: Lunch. (Pizza from the grocery store. Fancy!)
  • 1:00 PM: The Cherokee County Historical Museum. Another museum. My expectations are low, but I'm prepared for anything.
    • The Weight of History. Walking through the museum, I almost feel as I am transported to the time period, as I can see how the people struggle. This is the heart of Cherokee.
  • 3:00 PM: Nap and a nap-induced existential crisis. Do you ever wonder why you're here? In Cherokee? On a Tuesday? What even is the meaning of life?
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner. The meatball sub is looking even more appealing tonight. Tempted.
  • 7:00 PM: Back again.
  • 8:00 PM: Netflix. Then, sleep.

Day 3: Departure & Reflection - Or, The Surprisingly Endearing Soul of Iowa

  • 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Donuts.
  • 10:00 AM: Check out of the La Grande Hacienda. It's been… educational.
  • 11:00 AM: Final drive through Cherokee. Seeing the landscape for the last time. You have to wonder if all the people here are happy, or if they find a different kind of beauty.
  • 12:00 PM: Head to the airport. Sioux City here I come.

Final Thoughts (Rants, Rave, and Ramblings):

  • The Good: Okay, I’m not going to lie. I went in expecting nothing and found… a bit of something. The people of Cherokee are genuinely friendly, the museums are… passable, and the donuts, while discounted, did the job.
  • The Bad: The Wi-Fi, the beige rental car, the overwhelming feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. The general lack of excitement.
  • The Ugly: Honestly, the meatball sub. Probably not a good choice.
  • Final Verdict: Would I go back? Probably not. But I can't say I regret the experience. It was… an experience. And hey, it’s a story. And stories, even the boring ones, are what life is all about, right? Right? I need to start planning my next trip. Maybe Iceland. Mountains.
Kokopelli Lodge Clayton, NM: Your Southwestern Getaway Awaits!

Book Now

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Escape to Paradise: Cherokee's Best Kept (Not So Secret Anymore) Secret - The Unfiltered FAQs

Okay, so "Paradise"... is it *really* paradise? Or just REALLY good air conditioning?

Alright, let's be real. I went in with the *highest* expectations. I'd seen the Instagram pics – perfectly posed couples, infinity pool glistening, the whole shebang. Paradise? Well, it's *Cherokee* paradise. Think lush landscaping, maybe a rogue hummingbird or two, and YES, the AC is divine. Seriously, after the drive, that first blast of arctic air into the lobby felt like a religious experience. You'll need it. The humidity can be brutal! Look, it's not the Maldives. But is it a fantastic escape from the grind? Absolutely. The real "paradise" is the disconnect. No email, no phone calls, just... me, a ridiculously comfortable bathrobe, and a mountain view. Which reminds me…

The Pool. The Infamous Pool. Spill the tea. Is it as epic as the photos?

Okay, FINE. The pool photos *lie*. Not in a deceptive way, but more in a *slightly edited for Instagram* way. It's stunning, don't get me wrong. The infinity edge offers a killer view, and the water is a perfect temperature. However, prepare for a few things the brochures don’t mention:
  1. Sunbathers: There will be sunbathers. Lots of sunbathers. Early birds get the best lounge chairs. I learned this the hard way. I'm talking, 7 AM wake-up calls just to reserve a spot. I'm not proud of it, but the struggle is real, people.
  2. Cocktail prices: Prepare to open your wallet. The umbrella drinks are delicious, but they're priced like you're on the *actual* Riviera. Though, that fancy mudslide gave me a memory and almost cost me a memory.
  3. Kids. Not always a problem, but occasionally, the screaming, splashy, joy of other people’s children takes you out of the moment. Maybe just a little.
Still, the view from the pool is killer, it’s gorgeous. Just... temper your expectations slightly. You'll still get that feeling of being pampered, which, let's face it, is the whole point.

What's the food like? Because let's be honest, vacation calories don't count, right?

Right, the food. Okay, so there's a main restaurant with a fancy menu (think elk tenderloin, truffle oil, the works…) and a more casual poolside spot. Now, me? I'm a casual girl. I went for the burger at the pool. And it was *divine*. Simple, juicy, perfect. I may or may not have ordered two. Don't judge me, I was on vacation! The main restaurant? It's… good. Really good. But a bit… stuffy. Like, "I'm afraid I need to wear my best blazer" kind of good. And I, personally, am not a blazer girl. The portions are a tad small, too. I was left wishing I hadn't skipped the burger. Also… I found out they make all their own bread. You know, in the kitchen. They make the bread!! I was almost sad I didn’t eat more of it to be honest. I think about that bread more than I should. This is a problem.

Tell me about the spa! Worth the splurging?

The spa. Ah, yes. The spa. The *reason* you go. Okay, so, YES. Worth the splurge? Absolutely. I had a massage. A Swedish massage, to be exact. I went in stressed, wound-up, and generally a mess. I left… well, I left feeling like a noodle. A happy, relaxed, slightly oily noodle. Seriously. The ambiance is perfect. The scents are relaxing. The therapists are skilled. (My therapist's name was Sarah, and she could probably soothe a grizzly bear). My only regret is I didn't book a longer treatment. Do yourself a favor: spring for the full spa day. Trust me. Your body (and your sanity) will thank you. But also... bring a book. I'm not kidding. You will want to hang out in the relaxation room for hours. The hot tea and the comfy chairs are a siren song.

What’s the vibe of the hotel? Is it for families? Couples? Just a grumpy old woman who wants peace and quiet?

Honestly? A bit of everything. There are families, yes. There's a kids' pool (thank goodness). But it's big enough that you can easily escape the chaos if you want to. Couples abound, mostly the kind who look like they've been married for twenty years and still hold hands (goals, honestly). And yes, there are plenty of grumpy old people (like me, sometimes) who just want to sip their coffee in peace. The atmosphere is sophisticated, but not *too* stuffy. It's… well, it's just a good place to relax, no matter who you are (or how many times you nearly fall in the pool trying to take a selfie).

Any hidden fees or unexpected costs I should watch out for?

Ah, the dreaded hidden fees! Okay, so the resort fee is pretty standard, but look out for the charges in the mini-bar too! You might think you’re being clever, and just grabbing a bottle of water, but... you’re not. Even the little snacks can add up quick! I’m not saying *don't* enjoy the snacks, just, ya know, be aware of the financial black hole that is the mini-bar. Also: parking *is* complimentary. But valet tipping? Another thing to factor in. And the spa treatments! They are amazing, but tip accordingly. And the drinks!…Okay, I’m starting to sound like a broken record. Just remember to factor in the extras – things like room service, premium drinks, etc. Otherwise, you might get a nasty surprise when you check out. And nobody wants *that*.

Is there anything that REALLY annoyed you? Be honest!

Okay, I’ll be brutally honest. The elevators. THE ELEVATORS. There are not enough elevators for the number of guests, especially during peak times (like, you know, breakfast rush). I may or may not have walked up a few flights of stairs in my robe carrying a tray of pastries. Don’t judge me! (Okay, maybe judge me a little. It was quite the scene). And the lack of USB charging ports! In this day and age?! Seriously. I had to hunt down a plug adapter or leave my phone charging in the bathroom. Seriously, who designs a luxury hotel without enough outlets? Seriously, though, the elevator situation. It’s a minor inconvenience, but it kind of sums up my experience. It’s *Roam And Rests

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States

Best Western La Grande Hacienda Cherokee (IA) United States