Homer's Hidden Gem: Best Western Bidarka Inn Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercup! Because we're about to dive headfirst into Homer, Alaska, and the allegedly hidden gem that is the Best Western Bidarka Inn. And honey, let me tell you, after sifting through ALL those details, I've got opinions. Lots of them. This ain't your sterile, cookie-cutter hotel review; this is the real, messy, wonderfully imperfect truth.
Homer's Hidden (and Not So Hidden) Gem: The Best Western Bidarka Inn – A Rambling Review (and an Offer You CAN'T Refuse… maybe!)
Alright, straight up: "Hidden Gem" is a bold claim. It’s Homer – everything’s kind of out in the open! But let's see what this Bidarka Inn actually delivers before we judge the hype.
Accessibility: Gotta Start Here, Folks
Okay, this is IMPORTANT. Accessibility. The listing says "Facilities for disabled guests" and "Wheelchair accessible." That's a HUGE plus right off the bat. Hopefully, that means ramps, elevators, and rooms designed for ease of use. Knowing Best Western, they try to be pretty standard on this. More specific details about room features would be even better, but the starting point is promising. Consider calling them and finding out exactly what they have in the way of accessible rooms, and if the pool lift is working.
Cleanliness and Safety: In a Post-Pandemic World, We REALLY Care
This is where my anxiety meter starts ticking (because, well, 2020-forever taught us to be slightly paranoid). Let's see… they’ve got:
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good. Very good.
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Excellent.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Fantastic. Hear that, hotels? This is the bare minimum these days.
- Hand sanitizer: Bless you, Bidarka Inn. Bless you. I’m picturing strategically placed dispensers, kind of like the ones with the mints at the checkout.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Okay, I’m imagining people wearing face shields and talking in the monotone voice of a zombie apocalypse safety video. Still, a good start.
- Cashless payment service: Always a plus. Fewer germs to handle.
- Individual food options: Thank you. I’m a germaphobe. I love this.
Now, the room sanitization opt-out… that feels a little… weird. I’m gonna say, opt-in for the cleaning, people!
Rooms: The Heart of the Matter
Listen, I’m not a picky person (lies, all lies) but a hotel room is my sanctuary. So, what do we get?
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Praise the Lord! No more exorbitant internet fees.
- Air conditioning: Crucial. Alaska can still get warm, and let's face it, you're gonna need a place that isn't a humid sauna.
- Blackout curtains: YES! Sleep is sacred.
- Coffee/tea maker: Essential for those early morning adventures.
- Refrigerator: Hello, leftovers and cold drinks!
- Free bottled water: Hydration is key. (And I'm assuming this is a generous sized bottle, not those tiny little ones.)
- Laptop workspace: Important for those who need to work remotely
- Non-smoking: THANK YOU.
Okay, other features: There's stuff like an alarm clock (duh), a hair dryer (again, essential), and a safe box. They're even throwing in satellite/cable channels. The basics definitely seem covered.
The “Things to Do” / Ways to Relax… and the Spa That Might Not Be
Here’s where things get… interesting. Let’s break this down:
- Fitness center: Okay, fair enough. Gotta work off all that, you know, Alaskan food. But hopefully it's not a treadmill from 1987 that smells faintly of desperation.
- Pool with a view: This could be amazing. Picture this: the sun setting over the Homer Spit, you're in the pool, and the water is the perfect temperature. Now, I'm setting my imaginary bar high, but this could be spectacular. Edit: After some quick googling the pool has a view and is indoors. Alright!.
- Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom: Okay, this is sounding fantastic. I'm picturing a warm retreat after a long day.
Now, where it gets a little dicey is the listings of Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Spa. Are all these available? Listed in the hotel? Or is this a vague hope? Double-check, people!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Adventure
Alright, let's be real: I'm here for the food. And the drinks. The listing suggests:
- Restaurants: Plural! A good start!
- A la carte, Buffet, Coffee/tea, Desserts: Good choices. I like choices. And dessert. Always.
- Bar, Poolside bar, Happy hour: YES! This is vital after a long day of… well, whatever you do in Homer.
- Breakfast [Buffet], Asian Breakfast, Western Breakfast: Plenty of choice for breakfast! Now, is the Asian breakfast more like, "Oh, we have some cold rice and a sad egg roll" or is it the REAL DEAL? This is key to me.
- Room service [24-hour]: Another plus!
Okay, I give serious points for the food and drink variety and options. Food is important.
Services and Conveniences: The Perks
Here's where the hotel can REALLY shine. Let's see:
- Air conditioning in public areas: Good.
- Business facilities: Could be useful.
- Concierge: Always helpful.
- Convenience store: Late-night snacks and forgotten essentials? Yes, please.
- Daily housekeeping: Essential. Don't even think about skipping this.
- Elevator: Another huge plus.
- Laundry service: Score! I love the idea of traveling light
- Gift/souvenir shop: touristy, yes. But I'll buy something, I always do.
- Meeting/banquet facilities: Fine.
- Terrace: Could be nice.
For the Kids (and the Young at Heart)
Homer is a family place, so good on the Bidarka Inn for including this.
- Babysitting service: Always a bonus.
- Family/child friendly: Again, good to see.
- Kids meal The sign of a good hotel
Getting Around: The Alaskan Road Trip
- Car park [free of charge]: This is a big win! Parking in Homer can be a pain.
- Airport transfer: Very convenient.
- Taxi service: Okay by me.
The Verdict (and an Offer!)
Alright, here’s the deal: the Best Western Bidarka Inn shows a lot of promise. The clean/safety protocols seem solid, the rooms are well-equipped, and the pool with a view? That could be the thing. The on-site restaurants and bars is a plus, and the convenience factor is high.
Okay, my honest assessment: This seems like a good starting point for an Alaskan adventure. NOT the "Hidden Gem" of the century, but potentially a solid, comfortable base camp. HOWEVER, you absolutely need to call and confirm those spa amenities and accessibility features.
Now, the Offer…
Here’s what I propose: Book a stay at the Best Western Bidarka Inn using a code that you get from me. (I'll need to make one up!).
Why? Because this hotel is good.
But here's my EXTRA offer.
- If you book… tell me all the juicy details. Was the spa amazing? Was the Asian breakfast worth it? Did you find the hidden gem? Tell me! Because I'm going to book, too.
So, what are you waiting for? Book your stay, and let’s make Homer a memory!
Escape to Comfort: Country Hearth Inn & Suites Cartersville, GAAlright, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your sterile, paint-by-numbers itinerary. This is my Homer, Alaska, adventure, and trust me, it's going to be a wild ride. We're starting at the Best Western Bidarka Inn. Let's see how it goes.
Day 1: Arrival & Mild Panic (Plus, the Quest for Caffeine)
- 1:00 PM: Touchdown in Homer (or, "Oh God, I'm in Alaska")
- Okay, first impression? Alaskan air… crisp. Like, you could hear its purity. And the mountains? Majestic. But also, HOLY CRAP, the airport is TINY. Cue the imposter syndrome – am I really equipped for this?
- Anecdote: The baggage carousel was a glorified Lazy Susan. My suitcase practically did a victory lap. I think I even heard it give a little "whee!".
- 1:30 PM: Check-in at the Best Western Bidarka Inn:
- Decent place, but can't help and feeling a pang of how different all of this is.
- Quirky Observation: The lobby smells faintly of fresh coffee and slightly-damp fishing gear. It's… surprisingly comforting.
- 2:00 PM: Caffeine Panic (and the Search for Sustenance)
- The plane ride and the airport's sparse offerings left me desperately craving my coffee. I'm running on fumes here. Must. Find. Caffeine.
- Rambles: Google points me to a local cafe called "Two Sisters Bakery." Should I? Shouldn't I? My phone signal flickers in and out, adding to the drama.
- 2:30 PM: Two Sisters Bakery - Coffee and Baked Goods – Sweet and Nice.
- Oh God, the coffee. Actual heaven. It's strong. And the baked goods! A blueberry scone that practically melted in my mouth. If this is Alaska's culinary standard, I'm in trouble!
- Emotional Reaction: First bite into the scone? Pure, unadulterated joy. Suddenly, Alaska wasn't so intimidating. It was… delicious.
- 3:30 PM: Unpack and Assess the Situation at the Bidarka Inn:
- Room is okay, view is great, need to figure out the plumbing (Always a worry when you travel).
- Imperfection Note: Okay, so the WiFi is a little spotty. Reminds me of my ex. Always dropping out.
- 5:00 PM: Walking the Spit (The First Glimpse)
- The Homer Spit – a narrow strip of land jutting out into Kachemak Bay. It's iconic. And the view… breathtaking. I mean, whales! I didn't spot any, but the idea is there.
- Opinionated Language: This place is ridiculously picturesque. It's almost too perfect. Like someone photoshopped reality.
- 7:00 PM: Supper at "The Salty Dawg Saloon"
- This is where things get interesting. The Dawg is a Homer institution. Crazy atmosphere. The fish and chips were a revelation. And the beer… perfectly cold.
- Messier Structure: Okay, so the Dawg is packed. Like, sardines in a can packed. The noise is deafening. But the chaos? It's part of the charm. And the people? Everyone seems so genuinely happy.
- 9:00 PM: Back to Bidarka – Mild Exhaustion and the Promise of Sleep:
- I'm tired. Sun's setting, the sky burning in shades of orange and purple. And even with all the planning, the "perfect" trip starts to crumble.
- Emotional Reaction: Okay I'm a bit homesick but good. I'm in freaking Alaska. Time to embrace the chaos.
Day 2: Homer's Adventures (and a Deep Dive)
7:00 AM: Breakfast at the Bidarka (The Oatmeal Debacle)
- Free continental breakfast = instant disappointment. I'm no food snob, but this oatmeal tasted suspiciously like glue. Ugh.
- Double Down on a Single Experience: The oatmeal. Seriously, I wish I had taken a picture of that mess. The texture was… questionable. The flavor? Non-existent. It was a culinary crime. I'm still getting over it.
8:00 AM: Planning Trip – Searching for a day Trip.
- My phone. Always reliable, I'm getting some tour options for a day trip, and some boats.
9:00 AM: Boat Tour – Kachemak Bay – (Hopeful whale watching)
- The trip started with a beautiful view of the coastline, and seeing the islands, it was incredible, and the boat was smooth sailing.
- Quirky Observation: I've never been on a boat before.
1:00 PM: Lunch at a Picnic – (I need more food)
- The tour guide did a good job supplying us with lunch, but the food was okay.
- Messier Structure: We had some sandwiches, and a small apple, nothing special, I think it could be better.
2:00 PM: Fishing Adventure: I actually Caught a Fish
- Okay, folks, this was the highlight. I actually caught a fish! A big, beautiful, glistening… something. I have no idea what kind. I was the most surprised person there.
- Stronger Emotional Reactions: The thrill! The adrenaline! The sheer, ridiculous joy of it! I felt like a total badass. My hands were shaking!
- Messier Structure: The boat was rocking… but the smile on my face was rock solid.
5:00 PM: Dinner at a Local Restaurant:
- Celebratory meal. The fish was cooked perfectly.
- Opinionated Language: Seriously, If you don't like seafood. No just go home.
8:00 PM: Bed: It will be a long trip:
- I'm exhausted. Today was perfect.
Day 3: Goodbye Homer (and maybe, just maybe… Alaska, too?)
7:00 AM: Breakfast at the Bidarka (Redemption? Or More Glue?)
- I'm going to be brave and try the continental breakfast again. Pray for me.
8:00 AM: Packing and Re-evaluating.
- What have I learned? Mostly, that I need to pack more snacks, and that sometimes, the "best" experiences come from the things you never expect (like, you know, catching a fish).
9:00 AM: Last Walk on the Spit.
- One last look at the mountains. One last breath of that crisp, Alaskan air. It's a scene I'll replay in my head for a long time.
- Emotional Reaction: A pang of sadness. I really didn't want to leave.
11:00 AM: Head to the Airport (with Coffee!)
- One last stop at Two Sisters for a proper coffee. Gotta stock up before I go.
12:00 PM: Departure (With a smile)
- I'm leaving Homer with a full heart, a slightly sticky suitcase (thanks, fisherman's gear!), and a newfound appreciation for the power of a good blueberry scone. The adventure's over, now, maybe, I can go back home.
- Messier Structure: The flight was perfect. But more importantly, I was changed. This was just the beginning. The adventure continues.
This is my unfiltered Homer experience. It's messy. It's real. And frankly, it was amazing. Now, where to next?
Escape to Paradise: Hotel Sai International, Walwa's Hidden GemHomer's Hidden Gem: Best Western Bidarka Inn - Your Future Obsession (Maybe?)
Okay, spill. Is the Bidarka Inn *really* as amazing as everyone says? Like, for real?
Alright, alright, deep breaths. "Amazing" is a loaded word. Look, it's not the 5-star Ritz or anything. But… here's the thing. It's *Homer*, right? And in Homer, you're not looking for sterile perfection. You're looking for character. And the Bidarka? Honey, it's got character spilling out of its… well, out of its rooms. Think rugged charm meets "slightly faded but still trying." I went with really tall expectations, hoping for something romantic, and it was... close. Let's just say it’s NOT the kind of place that makes you want to Instagram the bathroom (unless you're really into rustic, which I am not), but you WILL find yourself falling in love with the view. That's the real magic.
Oh! And it's SO close to the Spit. Like, stumbling distance. Perfect for a post-dinner sunset wander. I stumbled. That was good. I mean, if you want to be close to everything in Homer, this is a fantastic location. Definitely the best part.
What's the deal with the "continental breakfast"? Should I even bother?
Okay, the breakfast. Brace yourself. It's… continental. Which means, you know, carbs, carbs, and more carbs. Think muffins that might be a day old (maybe two, depending on the day), some fruit that's seen better days, and the usual suspects: toast, bagels, maybe some sad little hard-boiled eggs. Coffee is… coffee. Don't get me wrong, it’s free, and if you’re desperate, it'll do the trick! And actually, one morning I snuck like, four muffins in my little bag for later. Don’t judge me, I was hungry!
Here’s my honest advice: Lower your expectations. Fill up on the carbs to start your day, then walk to a local place. There's some good restaurants! They are even open early. It does the trick.
The reviews mention amazing views. Seriously amazing? Is it overhyped?
Listen. The views are not overhyped. They're a freakin' *experience*. I woke up one morning, stumbled to the window, still half-asleep, and BAM! The Kachemak Bay, the mountains, the boats bobbing... it was like a postcard, but real. I got a little misty-eyed, which is embarrassing, but true! Don't be surprised if you end up spending hours just staring out the window. I did. I ordered takeout and ate dinner in front of the view. Didn’t even turn on the TV. That's how good it is.
Pro-tip: Try to get a room on the water side. Though, honestly, even if you're on the "parking lot" side, you can still find some good views from the common areas. The views… that's the Bidarka's secret weapon.
What's the vibe like? Is it, like, noisy? Are the walls paper thin?
The vibe is... Homer. Relaxed. Casual. It’s not a party hotel, thank goodness. Mostly, you'll encounter other people who are there to enjoy the natural beauty of the area - not to throw ragers. I wouldn’t say it’s *super* noisy, but the walls… well, they're not made of concrete blocks. I did hear someone snoring at 3:00 am one night, but mostly other guests were just… being human. I mean, there were kids there at some point, but I don’t remember them being loud, so that's good! It’s a relatively quiet and chill place, to say the least.
Expect a mix of families, couples, people on fishing trips (the smell… sometimes the smell, but hey, that's Homer!), and solo travelers. Be prepared to say "good morning." It’s just that kind of place.
Okay, the rooms. What's the deal with the rooms? Are they clean? Up-to-date?
Okay, let’s be real: the rooms aren’t *sparkling*. They're clean, yes. But they're not brand new and magazine-worthy. Think… well-used, but well-maintained. They've have a certain charm, an understated appeal that some people, like me, adore. I'm not saying it's perfect. But for the price and the location you can't really beat it. The bed was *comfortable* though, and that’s the most important thing, right? I slept like a baby. If you require perfection, maybe go for a more modern chain hotel.
My room... did it, the best that I could've expected. The big windows were fantastic. Always remember to check the bathroom because it is the most important, when you are on a vacation. I felt pretty good after all
Is there anything I should be warned about? Hidden fees? Creepy staff?
No scary hidden fees that I can recall! The staff were all perfectly friendly and helpful - not especially chatty, but always available if you needed something. I wouldn’t call them "creepy" at all. Normal, helpful people. I didn't have any issues with that sort of thing. Just the usual hotel stuff. It's really good. And they have good recommendations for food!
Alright, the location, location, location. How walkable is it? Do I *need* a car?
You are in *Homer, Alaska*. Homer is a town of the Spit, so you are right next to everything! It could not be a better location! You can walk to shops, restaurants, bars… you're RIGHT there! And the Homer Spit? You can walk the Spit! A car REALLY is not essential, honestly. You can take a taxi or Uber too. If you want to explore the surrounding areas, then yes, a car would be great, but for just hanging around Homer? Nope. Bidarka's location = pure gold.
So, would you recommend it overall? Be honest!
Okay, here's the honest truth... Yes. Absolutely yes. Provided you know what you're getting into. It’s not fancy. It's not perfect. It's got that slightly worn, comfortable feel that makes you feel at home.Nomadic Stays