Beijing's BEST Kept Secret? This Shunyi Hotel Will SHOCK You!

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

Beijing's BEST Kept Secret? This Shunyi Hotel Will SHOCK You!

Beijing's BEST Kept Secret? This Shunyi Hotel Will SHOCK You! - A Review (and a Rant)

Alright, buckle up, buttercups. I've just emerged, blinking, from a truly bizarre and unexpectedly delightful experience in Shunyi, Beijing. You know, that distant land beyond the Fifth Ring Road, where things get…different. And I’m here to tell you about a hotel that genuinely surprised me. It's Beijing's "Best Kept Secret," and holy smokes, is it! Let's rip into this thing, shall we?

Accessibility - Ugh, the Dreaded Accessibility: Okay, I'm going to be brutally honest. I'm not disabled, so my perspective on accessibility might be limited. However, they do list "Facilities for disabled guests." While I didn't see any glaring issues, I strongly recommend you call and confirm specific needs. They did have an elevator (essential!), which is a HUGE plus. (Check!)

On-site accessible restaurants / lounges: Couldn't really scope this out properly, but the restaurants seemed fairly accessible with decent space. (Needs Verification though, call!)

Internet Access: (Let's Talk About The Internet!)

  • Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms! And Public Areas! (Hallelujah!): YES! Praise the Wi-Fi gods! Strong, reliable signal everywhere. I streamed a ton of cat videos, and they didn't buffer once. This is a massive win in China, where Wi-Fi can be a total gamble.
  • Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet Services: The LAN option is there, I guess, for those throwback folks. But who needs it when the Wi-Fi is this good? (Thumbs up for the wireless game!)

Things to Do, Ways to Relax – Spa, Sauna, and Sweet, Sweet Serenity? (Maybe!)

Okay, this is where things got interesting. I'm a stress case, and trust me, I need to relax. The hotel promised a spa, sauna, pool… the works. Here's the skinny:

  • Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap: The spa seemed… lovely. Honestly? I chickened out. I'm a real wimp when it comes to treatments, especially when the language barrier might exist. So, no personal experience here. Still, the ambiance looked promising!
  • Swimming pool, Pool with view: The outdoor pool was closed. A tragedy! But the indoor pool was fantastic. Crystal clear, and surprisingly quiet. I actually got some proper swimming in. Plus, the view of the misty Shunyi landscape through the big windows was… kinda majestic. (Very, very good!)
  • Fitness center, Gym/fitness: I peeked. It looked… well-equipped. Modern, with the usual treadmills and weights. But, again, I skipped the gym. I'm on vacation, people! (Your mileage may vary!)
  • Foot bath: I didn't see this, but the listing has this as a thing, though!

Cleanliness and Safety – The Sanitizing Saga! (A Necessary but Annoying Reality)

Post-COVID, safety is paramount. This hotel, thankfully, took things seriously.

  • Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment: The whole shebang. Every surface seemed spotless. They even had those weird UV light wands near the elevator. I felt safe… maybe a little too safe. But, hey, better safe than sorry, right?
  • Hand sanitizer, Individually-wrapped food options: Constant hand sanitizer stations and every single piece of cutlery was wrapped. It was… intense. But necessary.
  • Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: They tried. It's a bit of a challenge in a hotel, but they made a decent effort.
  • Cashless payment service: Another win! No fumbling with money.
  • Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit: Peace of mind. Always a good thing.
  • Shared stationery removed: Snaps fingers Good!
  • Hot water linen and laundry washing: Needed I tell you?
  • Safe dining setup: tables were placed far apart.
  • Check-in/out [express] This was actually the easiest check-in/out that I've had!

**Dining, drinking, and snacking – *Food, Glorious Food (and Coffee)!* **

Okay, food is where this hotel really shone. Prepare to be impressed!

  • Restaurants, A la carte in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Bar, Poolside bar, Snack bar: They nail the food. The buffet was… a work of art. Seriously, the spread was insane. Everything from classic Western fare (the pancakes were fluffy perfection) to a vast array of authentic Asian eats.
  • Room service [24-hour], Bottle of water, Alternative meal arrangement, Happy hour: The 24-hour room service was a lifesaver (I’m a notorious late-night snacker). And the prices were surprisingly reasonable.
  • Vegetarian restaurant: I didn't spot a dedicated vegetarian restaurant, but the options available were plentiful.
  • **I felt a little bit *too* spoiled.
    • Anecdote Time:
      • I spent an afternoon by the pool, and the waiter remembered my drink order. I started thinking, "is it possible to buy a house down here?"
      • My only complaint about the dining (and I mean nit-picking) was that the soup was a little bit cold. They fixed it SO FAST!
      • I'm not gonna lie, I ordered room service at 3 am for some delicious pancakes. I don't regret it!

Services and conveniences – Elevators, and Luggage-Handling, Oh My!

The usual suspects, all executed with a high degree of efficiency.

  • Air conditioning in public area, Concierge, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Smoking area, Terrace, Xerox/fax in business center: All top-notch. The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful.
  • Business facilities, Invoice provided, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Projector/LED display, Seminars, Shrine, Wi-Fi for special events, Babysitting service, Food delivery, Indoor venue for special events, Proposal spot: This place has everything. Seriously, you could host a wedding, a corporate retreat, or just… eat pancakes in peace.
  • Cash withdrawal, Facilities for disabled guests: (This is getting repetitive, but important.) Check. Check.
  • Contactless check-in/out, Check-in/out [private]: Smooth as silk. No fuss.

For the kids – Family-Friendly Fun? (Potentially!)

  • Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: This place seems great for families. Plenty of space, play areas, and kid-friendly options. I saw a family with a bunch of small children and they seemed to be having a blast.
    • Anecdote:
      • *I saw kids RUNNING around. Then *nothing… peace and quiet. It seems like the kids had their own space!

Available in all rooms – The Nitty Gritty of the Room Itself

  • Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens: The rooms? Comfortable. Clean. Well-equipped. The blackout curtains? A godsend. The bed? Seriously comfy. The views? Depending on your room, could be stunning or just Shunyi.
    • Anecdote about the room:
      • *I loved how they provided lots of water. I drink TONS of water, so it made it
Hanoi's Hidden Gem: Dai Duong Hotel - Your Unforgettable Hanoi Stay

Book Now

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the glorious, chaotic, and inevitably slightly-disastrous adventure that was my stay at the GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel. This ain't your perfectly curated Instagram travel blog; this is the raw, unfiltered truth. Prepare for some rambles, a few eye-rolls, and maybe, just maybe, a genuine moment of human connection (or at least, a really good story).

Day 1: Arrival - Or, How I Learned to Love (and Then Immediately Dislike) Beijing Airport

  • Morning (Let's be real, it was more like mid-afternoon): Touchdown in Beijing! The air, a thick, hazy, slightly-industrial-smelling blanket – I’ve gotta say, it felt different than what I’m used to. The airport was a behemoth. Seriously, it could probably swallow a small country whole. Finding the right exit felt like navigating a labyrinth designed by a particularly sadistic architect. Passport control was a blur of faces, stamps, and that vaguely-judgemental-but-professional look that immigration officers seem to perfect. I got through it, and then it was a hunt for the Express Hotel's airport shuttle service. Thankfully, the hotel was good to communicate via WeChat with me, which came in handy.
  • Afternoon: The Shuttle & the Hotel (Or, Why Did I Even Bother Bringing My Fancy Suitcase?) After a minor (okay, major) panic attack trying to find the shuttle. The driver was surprisingly chatty which broke the ice immediately. The ride? A blur of sleek highways and… well, a lot of buildings. The hotel, bless its heart, was…functional. Think clean(ish) lines, a tiny, overly-efficient room, and a distinct lack of personality. But hey, the price was right. I, for some reason, tried to unpack all my clothes (I tend to overpack).
  • Evening: Dinner Disaster and Jet Lag Fury. Attempted dinner at a nearby restaurant. I tried ordering – using the translation app on my phone – ended up with something that was not what I expected. It was a seafood dish which I am allergic to; I was horrified and very, very hungry. I went to bed. The jet lag tried to fight me, but eventually sleep won.

Day 2: Shunyi Shenanigans – A Rollercoaster of Emotions

  • Morning: The Breakfast Buffet (Or, The Mystery Meat Saga). The hotel breakfast buffet. Let's just say it was…an experience. There were dumplings that looked suspicious, something that might have been congee, and a whole lot of processed food. I bravely opted for a plate of something that resembled scrambled eggs. I'm pretty sure it was more like the hotel lobby's cleaning solution but I ate it anyway.
  • Mid-Morning: Trying to Leave the Hotel & the Chinese Language Barrier. I tried going out, but I needed a cab. This proved hard; the hotel staff could barely comprehend me. After some frantic hand signals and a few tears, I was on my way.
  • Afternoon: The Longqing Gorge Dam (Or, The Moment I Fell in Love, Almost). I decided to take a day trip to the Longqing Gorge Dam after a quick taxi ride! I did not see what I wanted; I wanted to see the dam! The view was breathtaking. That moment of pure, unadulterated awe, staring out at the water. It was amazing, I want to go back!
  • Evening: Back at the Hotel, Contemplating My Life Choices. Back at the hotel, exhausted and energized all at once. I just wanted to unwind, but the internet signal was terrible in the room.

Day 3: Homeward-bound – The Bittersweet Farewell

  • Morning: Final Buffet Face-off. The breakfast buffet…again. I was starting to recognize the regulars. We shared a wordless camaraderie. The food didn't get any better, but now it had a certain charm.
  • Afternoon/Departure: The Airport Round Two & Reflections. The shuttle to the airport. Smooth sailing. The airport. Smooth sailing…until security. I somehow ended up in the "randomly selected" queue at security. I had to strip down.
  • Evening: The Flight & the Aftermath. Got on the plane. I slept the entire flight home. I arrived. The end.

Quirks & Observations:

  • The Toilet Paper: The toilet paper situation in China…it's a thing. Always carry your own. Seriously.
  • The Patience of the Locals: Navigating a country when you don't speak the language is humbling. I encountered some truly wonderful people who were patient and helpful. A million thanks to them.
  • Lost in Translation: My translation app was my lifeline, but sometimes, the results were baffling. I still don’t know what kind of meat I ate.
  • The GreenTree Inn: It was functional but not memorable. Room for improvement.
  • Me: I was a mess. I made mistakes. I got lost. I ate questionable food. But I came home with stories.

Final Thoughts:

Beijing, Shunyi, the GreenTree Inn…it was a learning experience. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was mine. And in its own messy, imperfect way, it was absolutely unforgettable. And would I go back? Absolutely. But next time, I'm bringing more snacks, better language skills, and a whole lot more patience. And maybe a hazmat suit, because, let's be honest, you never know what you're getting into.

Escape to the Charming Country Inn & Suites by Radisson (Elmira, NY)!

Book Now

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

FAQs: Beijing's Shunyi Hotel - The One That'll Blow Your Mind (Maybe Mine Too!)

Okay, spill it! What IS this "BEST Kept Secret" in Shunyi? And why are you yelling?

Alright, alright, settle down. Deep breaths. So, I'm talking about a hotel in Shunyi, right? And the "yelling"? Purely for dramatic effect, my friend! Think… secret hideaway, unexpected luxury, a place that makes you question everything you thought you knew about Beijing hotels in the suburbs. The specifics? Well, that's the *real* secret, isn't it? You gotta do a little digging. I'm not just handing over the golden ticket! (Though, *maybe* I'll drop a few hints… later.) Basically, it's a place that's SO good, it almost feels...illegal. Like, should I even be telling *you*?

Shunyi?! Isn't that...far? Like, way out in the sticks? Is it even *worth* the trek?

Yes, Shunyi is technically "out there." You're not exactly stumbling distance from the Forbidden City. But "the sticks?" Come on! It’s a quick hop from the airport, which, honestly, is a bonus if you’re jet-lagged. Look, the *worth* of it? That's the million-dollar question. For most people, probably not. If you want a perfectly pristine, predictable, tourist-trap experience in the city center, stay put. This isn't for you. But, if you crave something… *more*, something… different, a genuinely relaxing escape from the Beijing hustle… then yes. The trek is absolutely worth it. Trust me. I've done the journey, and I'd do it again, even if it meant battling rush hour traffic. (And believe me, I *hate* Beijing traffic.)

What kind of vibe are we talking here? Is it a sleek, modern, "Instagram-worthy" hotel, or something more… down-to-earth?

Oh, that’s a tricky one! Okay, it’s *not* all stark white walls and minimalist everything. Thank heavens! While it does have its polished moments, there’s definitely a warmth to the place. I'd call it... understated elegance meets cozy comfort. Think less "Instagram" and more "actually *enjoying* your surroundings." They've got this incredible pool area, not overly flashy, just perfect for a lazy afternoon. The restaurant? Forget the overly-attentive service you find in some places. It's all about genuine hospitality and the food! The food… oh, the food. More on that later. Maybe. Probably. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Okay, you mentioned your food obsession. What's the dining situation like? Are we talking bland hotel buffet or... something else?

Bland hotel buffet?! NEVER! This place… they *get* food. They *understand* it. Look, I'm a food person, a serious food person, and I’m telling you, the restaurant is a major draw. I had this perfectly seared duck breast there once; I’m still thinking about it a year later. It was cooked PERFECTLY. The skin, crispy. The meat, tender. The sauce, a complex symphony of flavors that made me want to lick the plate (I didn’t, though… I’m not *that* uncouth). And the breakfast? Forget the usual sad pastries. They had… wait for it… fresh, fluffy croissants, real coffee, and eggs cooked to your exact specifications. I mean, who does that in Beijing?! Seriously, my taste buds did a little dance every morning. The only downside? I spent way too much time there, and my pants got a little… snug. Worth it. Absolutely worth it.

Are there any activities to keep you occupied? Or is it just… chilling? Because, let's be honest, sometimes, chilling can get boring (and I'm not the best at it).

Okay, you've got options, which is good. It's not *just* chilling, thank goodness. There's that pool, which is a lifesaver in the Beijing heat. You can also wander around the gardens, which are surprisingly beautiful. Not like manicured, fussy gardens, but more… natural, wild, and inviting. There's a well-equipped gym, (which I, uh, *might* have glanced at. Briefly. From a distance. I was too busy eating croissants.) And they’ll organize excursions. I never did one, to be honest; I was too busy enjoying being… *off*. The point is, if you want to be busy, you can. But the place is so good at creating a sense of peace, it makes you *want* to do absolutely nothing. Which, for me, is the ultimate luxury.

What's the *worst* part? Nothing's perfect! Spill the tea!

Ugh, alright, let's get this over with. The worst part? Fine, there are a few things. One: the Wi-Fi. Sometimes… it’s a bit… temperamental. Which, for a digital nomad like me, is practically a life-or-death situation. Also: it can get a *little* pricey. Not ridiculously so, but definitely not budget-friendly. My wallet took a hit. Another small thing: one time, my shower decided to go rogue and alternate between scalding hot and icy cold. It was… character-building. And the biggest problem? Leaving. That's the *real* killer. Every time. It’s like being ripped away from paradise. (Okay, dramatic, I know. But the feeling's real!) Don't expect perfection, but the good far outweighs the bad.

Okay, okay, I'm nearly convinced. But... the name? The location? C'mon! Give us a clue!

*Sigh*. You really want to know, don't you? Okay, okay. Here's the deal. I’m not going to name it outright. I want *you* to discover the magic. It's part of the experience! But... *whispers*, it's near a very well-known international school and has a name that nods to a classical Chinese idea. That's all you're getting. Go forth, intrepid explorer! (Or, you know, just Google around Shunyi!) Good luck, and may your stay be as unexpectedly wonderful as mine was. You won’t regret it, even if the crazy weather starts at the worst time of your day, it still worth it. Though you might have to fight me for a table at the restaurant!
Hotelish

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China

GreenTree Inn Beijing Shunyi Xinguozhan Express Hotel Beijing China